Updated at 4:45 p.m. ET: Officials in Oklahoma said four people were found shot dead at a Tulsa apartment on Monday.
Police responded to the scene in the south part of Tulsa at around 12:30 p.m. local time, where four women were found dead inside the Fairmont Terrace apartments, NBC station KJRH reported.
"The victims were shot multiple times," Tulsa Police Officer Jillian Roberson confirmed in a statement to NBC News.
Authorities also found an unharmed 4-year-old child in the apartment, Roberson said. The child was taken into protective custody.
"It's not everyday you see something like this in the city of Tulsa," Tulsa Police Officer Leland Ashley told the Tulsa World. "It's very tough right now."
The police’s early investigation indicates an individual went inside the apartment and found the four dead females and the unharmed child inside, Roberson said. Officials suspect someone spoke with an occupant of the apartment an hour before the bodies were found, KJRH reported.
The victims have not been identified.
The crime remains under investigation, while police look for witnesses.
This story is still developing. Check back for updates.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Rewards planned in possibly linked killings of elderly Calif. women
- Some wounded vets shine on 'Alive Day,' others wear black
- California man says he can drive in carpool lane with corporation papers
- Police: 4 dead, including gunman, in Aurora, Colo., hostage situation
- Tattoo photos lead to woman's arrest in global child porn investigation
- What Supreme Court? Gay marriage battles rage in the states
- Video: Warehouses full of criminal evidence lost to Sandy