A teacher at Palo Alto Middle School in Killeen, Texas, has been placed on paid leave while the Killeen Independent School District reviews a report that he taped a student’s mouth shut, according to The Associated Press.
Enesto Ortiz claims his 11-year-old son had three pieces of duct tape put on his mouth by teacher Clarence Williams, according to the AP. The incident allegedly happened Oct. 23.
The boy’s mouth, Ortiz says, became swollen and some skin came off when the tape was removed. A school nurse had to help remove the duct tape, AP reported.
The tape was left over the student’s mouth for 45 minutes, Ortiz claims.
AP’s request for details on what prompted the alleged incident went unanswered by school officials.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Man gets 17 years for plot to bomb Pentagon, Capitol with model planes
- Hurricane Sandy provides 'wake-up call' for cities at risk of flooding
- Secret Service agent reportedly kills self after alleged affair revealed
- Nearly 30 Air Force Academy cadets injured as ritual turns into 'brawl'
- Italy police: Student stabs sleeping American friend while on drugs