A 9-year-old Pennsylvania girl was shot in the shoulder with a shotgun at a Halloween party Saturday evening by a relative who mistook her for a skunk, a Beaver County dispatcher confirmed to NBC News.
The shooting, which took place in New Sewickley Township, Pa. came in at 8:02 p.m. on Saturday night. Police told WPXI.com that the girl was wearing a black outfit and a black hat attached to a white tassel.
The girl was transported to Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pa., about 50 minutes away, where she underwent surgery, WPXI.com reported.
No arrests have been made, and the case remains under investigation, according to the dispatcher.
More content from NBCNews.com:
- Source: No deal yet on US-Iran nuclear talks
- Father dies shielding children from gunman who set home ablaze; boy killed
- Mystery ground shaking rattles South Jersey
- US nurse arrested in Macedonia awaits verdict in coin-smuggling trial
- Video: Texas school district tracks students with ID cards